Mrs. Brown and Ms. Nightingale

Week of June 1-5

Picture of Lorree Brown
Week of June 1-5
by Lorree Brown - Sunday, 31 May 2020, 6:32 PM

Hello Division 16 Families.

This week some of you will be returning to school while others have opted to continue remote learning from home.  Regardless of where your child is doing their learning, I will be keeping the work the same.  Students coming to school will be provided with paper copies of the online assignments and will receive in class instruction instead of the instructional videos.  In addition, at school we will be doing some outdoor educational activities. I will be sending a separate email for returning families which will include a list of items to bring to school. 

In numeracy this week, we continue to work with fractions. This week’s focus will be on equivalent fractions. Students will be asked to view the instructional videos and complete fraction slides each day. There will also be an option to come up with equivalent fractions on paper.  If your child does this, please email me a picture of their completed work. 

In literacy, students will be given a reading and writing assignment. For writing, students will begin by listening to the story, Sylvester and the Magic Pebble.  After reading the story students will be expected to complete three assignments (one each day).  The assignments are listed on the literacy schedule and are explained in detail in Google Classroom. Students will also be given the story, The Hidden Treasure to read and answer comprehension questions.  All of these activities will be completed in class as well. 

Since I am in the classroom all week, I will not be offering any video chats.  However, I will check my email throughout the day and if any students who are opting to stay home have questions, please email me and I will respond as soon as possible. 

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email me. 

Lorree/Mrs. Brown

Note From Mrs. Cannady

Hello Division 16 Families.

Ready or not June has arrived! This will be one for the record books. As we move forward, please remember that Friday afternoon is when I will be available to support at home learning. 

In Math this week, students are invited to continue to work with spinners and make connections to the probability of landing on certain colours. Students will also be considering area as they decide which chocolate bar they will keep and which they will give away. I have also included a link to Tumblebook Math so students can deepen their understanding of the math concepts that continue to provide challenges.

For Literacy, students are invited to complete a reading comprehension task about the Hubble Telescope. There is also a crossword puzzle to complete. Students will also be composing their own Haikus following the syllable sequence of 5,75.

Please remember that all work completed with pencil/paper or offline can be photographed and emailed to mcannady@saanichschools.ca for feedback. All work submitted in Google Classroom will also be returned.