Mrs. Brown and Ms. Nightingale

Week of May 25-29

Picture of Lorree Brown
Week of May 25-29
by Lorree Brown - Sunday, 24 May 2020, 9:35 PM

Hello Division 16 Families.

I hope you all had a fabulous weekend. This week I will be going into the school a lot for meetings and to set up the classroom in preparation for our first week back. As a result, I will not be doing any video chats.  If your child has any questions or needs some one to one help, please email me and I will make that happen. 

In math, the learning opportunities include more fractions. Students will have fraction slides to complete each day.  If they prefer to write answers on paper, there are some fraction questions on the numeracy schedule which can be completed on paper and emailed to me in a picture format. I have also included a “Virtual Dice” for those students who do not have dice at home, so they can play the suggested math games for the week. 

In writing and reading, students have been given time to complete their Informational Writing.  If they finish this, they are encouraged to complete the Journal assignment.  For reading, I have included one reading activity with questions which can be completed in Google Classroom or on paper.  Finally, students are encouraged to read for 30 minutes each day. 

A final reminder...if you have not sent me a kindergarten picture of your child for the Grade Five Slideshow, please do so by the end of this week.  

If you have any questions about any of the learning activities, please email me. 

Have a great week.

Lorree/Mrs. Brown

Note From Mrs. Cannady

In Math this week, students will continue to explore probability with spinners. There is the opportunity to both design and reflect on pre-existing spinners. They will continue working with rectangular prisms and complete a search for tessellations that demonstrate a reflection (flip). They will also have the opportunity to test their knowledge of lines of symmetry.

This week for Literacy, students will continue rhyming schemes and focus on quatrains. After completing a search for existing quatrain examples, students are encouraged to compose their own poems verses with the rhyming scheme ABAB. Too easy? They are encouraged to compose other rhyming schemes. Students are also encouraged to explore onomatopoeias and how its use in writing appeals to the sense of hearing and it brings a story or poem to life in the reader's head. It can also help to add a touch of fun or emotion to a piece. Students are invited to create a comic strip that incorporates onomatopeias.

Please remember that all work completed with pencil/paper or offline can be photographed and emailed to mcannady@saanichschools.ca for feedback. All work submitted in Google Classroom will also be returned.