Mrs. Brown and Ms. Nightingale

Week of May 18-22

Picture of Lorree Brown
Week of May 18-22
by Lorree Brown - Sunday, 17 May 2020, 1:05 PM

Hello Division 16 Families.

I hope you are all having a fabulous long weekend.  Attached are the numeracy and literacy schedules for this week. Please take a look and if you have any questions, please email me or Melissa. 

Thank you to those of you who have sent in your child’s kindergarten picture and their description of what they would like to do in the future.  If you have not done this, please send a photo and their sentence to me by the end of this week.  It would be a shame if they did not have this for the grad five slideshow. 

Please encourage your child to sign up for a one to one video chat or a group video chat on Wednesday or Thursday this week. The signup sheets are available on Google Classroom under Contact. 

In math this week, we will be exploring the world of fractions. Students are encouraged to watch both fraction videos before they complete the various slides practicing their fraction knowledge. 

In writing students are either finishing their opinion piece from last week or they can begin their informational writing piece.   There are videos on Google Classroom which will walk the students through each writing process. 

For reading students have been asked to read a piece about Leonardo Da Vinci and answer some comprehension questions.  For the rest of the week, students are encouraged to continue reading their own book for 30 minutes a day

There are also some additional extra activities on Google Classroom which students are encouraged to complete.  These include music, French, read aloud and art activities. 

I hope you all have a wonderful week. 

Lorree/Mrs. Brown

From Mrs. Cannady

In Math, students will continue working with area and perimeter and are challenged to create shapes where perimeter is high and area is small and vice versa. Students are also invited to examine a selection of 3D objects and explain, using math vocabulary, which one does not belong. They are also invited to play some familiar games.

For Literacy, after reading the example provided, students are encouraged to compose a few (2-3) poems with the rhyming scheme ABCB. They are to pick their favorite to share with me. Examples and more details about rhyming schemes can be found in our Google Classroom. Alternatively, students are invited to listen to picture books read by celebrity actors and to share with me which actor creates the best narrative read aloud and why.

Please remember that all work completed with pencil/paper or offline can be photographed and emailed to mcannady@saanichschools.ca for feedback. All work submitted in Google Classroom will also be returned.