Mrs. Brown and Ms. Nightingale

Week of June 8-12

Picture of Lorree Brown
Week of June 8-12
by Lorree Brown - Sunday, 7 June 2020, 7:26 PM

Hello Division 16 Families.

It was wonderful to see some of our class return this past week.  For those children attending school in person, I have sent home paper copies of all the Google Classroom assignments.  These students can complete their work while at home on paper.

In math this week we continue with fractions.  This week’s focus is on fractions on a number line.  It is very important that the students watch the instructional video and email me if they have any questions before attempting the fraction slides. The assignment for each day is written on the first slide with the videos. 

In writing this week students will be listening to the story, The Bear Ate Your Sandwich.  The response activities will include writing a summary and writing an opinion piece. I have explained to the students my expectations for their writing.  One sentence is not acceptable at the grade five level and they all know I expect a minimum of 8-10 juicy sentences. 

For reading this week, we are trying something new.  Students will be logging into currents4kids and choosing an article to read.  After reading the article, they are expected to complete two short quizzes and a short written response.  I emailed their username and password this week. 

Additional activities this week include art, French, music and a Dr Seuss read aloud. I have also included a Term Three Self Evaluation which i would like the students to complete this week. 

Please let me know if you have any questions about the work this week.

Have a great week. 

Lorree

Note From Mrs. Cannady

Hello Division 16 Families.

It was so wonderful seeing some of you in class last week! If we did not see each other, know that my thoughts are with you and I will be around on Friday afternoon to answer any questions, provide feedback on completed work or simply to connect. If you’d like to have a one-on-one video chat, email me a time that would work for your household on Friday afternoon.

In Math this week, students continue to work with probability. They will collect their own data and analyse the results. Students are also invited to complete a grid challenge that requires them to place a variety of polygons specific locations following clues. There is also the opportunity to explore symmetry online and to share their favorite math card game.

For Literacy, students are invited to compose their own Limerick. They can also watch a video about the Earth’s orbit and rotation and complete the accompanying questions. There are also two activities based upon the article “Our Newbie Astronauts: Ready to Lift Off.” Or, why not try the NASA space challenge? Will you survive on the moon?

Please remember that all work completed with pencil/paper or offline can be photographed and emailed to mcannady@saanichschools.ca for feedback. All work submitted in Google Classroom will also be returned.