Mrs. Blackie - K1 News

Weekly Update Friday, September 24, 2021

Picture of Jeni-Lynn Blackie
Weekly Update Friday, September 24, 2021
by Jeni-Lynn Blackie - Friday, 24 September 2021, 5:31 PM

Hello everyone,

A busy but great week! We tasted 3 different apple types today to see which was our favourite one to  create a  graph and we investigated which liquid - salt water, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, gingerale- would stop the apple from turning brown.   Ask your child which apple they enjoyed and what happened with the Friday experiment. We are welcoming Fall and exploring the things that it brings!

Thanks for supporting the Terry Fox run with the toonies and it was fun to run and see all the primary students running their best for Terry!

Our Sharing About Me was Awesome! It was great to hear the many things that the children liked to do, favourite colours, toys and it was fun to see the connections they had with the other children. We will be making a class book about some of the things we shared.  If your child didn't have a chance to share, please have them bring their items Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday. 

Next week: 

Sharing: Because it is a short week, we will not have a themed sharing next week.

Science : Investigating seasonal changes. If you and/or your child want to bring any collections from nature to our class, we will be looking at how seasonal changes affect living things. For example: leaves, acorns, chestnuts, pine cones, seedlings, etc. We will continues with our investigation of  plants, fall animas and how they are affected by seasonal changes.

Library Books - please return on Tuesday as I am hoping to get a library time Tuesday as we will be away on Thursday. 

Orange Shirt Day on Wednesday, September 29 - Please have your child wear an Orange Shirt to remind us that Every Child Matters. Orange Shirt Day is a legacy of the St. Joseph Mission (SJM) residential school commemoration event held in Williams Lake, BC, Canada, in the spring of 2013.  It grew out of Phyllis' story of having her shiny new orange shirt taken away on her first day of school at the Mission, and it has become an opportunity to keep the discussion on all aspects of residential schools happening annually.

Meet the Teacher NIght Tuesday, September 28 - 5:30-6:30 I will have a table at our line up spot. I will have information about our Digital Journal Fresh Grade and a permission form. It is a great opportunity to meet with you and share some of the things we will be learning in Kindergarten as well as how you can support your child at home. Looking forward to meeting you! 

Calendar Reminders:

Monday - September 27 Pro D day - No School for children

Tuesday - September 28 - Meet the Teacher 5:30 - 6:30

Wednesday - September 29 - Orange Shirt Day-Every Child Matters

Thursday - September 30 -Stat Holiday - recognition of Orange Shirt Day - No School

Thursday- October 7 - Bus Safety Orientation Fieldtrip -forms to be sent out next week. 

Enjoy your weekend,

Jeni-Lynn Blackie