Tracey Westwood's K2

Friday, May 22nd Update

Picture of Tracey Westwood
Friday, May 22nd Update
by Tracey Westwood - Friday, 22 May 2015, 5:05 PM

Here are a few bits for this final week of May (egad!)...

• Thank you so much for your contributions to the Staff Appreciation Luncheon. I am very happy and grateful to be teaching your kids so being part of such a thoughtful community and enjoying a lovely lunch is a great bonus!

• Ask your child what he/she thought about Science Venture yesterday. A pair of UVic Students came and did a great job engaging the students with some scientific experiments/demonstrations on precipitation, clouds, lightning, and air pressure.

• Many of our students did their Weather Project Presentations this week. Ask your child how it felt to teach the class!

• Next Wednesday, May 27th, our First Nations Department has arranged for our class to learn The Bone Game!  Sadly, I will miss it as I have a district meeting to attend in the afternoon.

• Next Thursday, May 28th, our class will be participating in a Peace Summit All Day Workshop. Together we will learn about the Labyrinth. I wish I could explain more but it's all a bit mysterious.

• Your child should have brought home a field trip notice this week. Our class is planning a trip to the Royal BC Museum along with Mrs. Scott's Grade 4 class. Together, we hope to explore Natural Habitats and possibly, revisit First Nations Cultures. We will need 5-6 parent chaperones to come with us. You can meet us there or join us on the bus. You do need to have a criminal record check on file at the office. If we don't have enough chaperones, we will be forced to cancel.

• Your child should also have brought home a notice about Maturation Talks which will happen Monday, June 1st.  With Mrs. Blackie and me, the class will be discussing the science of physical and emotional development in boys and girls including the reproductive system.  Yippee!
  • We have another field trip planned for June 12th. It will be a walking trip to the Tsartlip Community. More details will follow.

• No Spelling this week! As the crunch of year-end comes on, we will skip a few extra Spelling weeks to make time for additional assessment time in class. If you are wanting to keep it up at home, send me an email and I will send some extra units home with your child.

Enjoy your weekend!