Tracey Westwood's K2

Friday, February 14th Update

Picture of Tracey Westwood
Friday, February 14th Update
by Tracey Westwood - Friday, 14 February 2014, 5:34 PM

A few bits for the week

• Homework: My apologies for the poor communication with math homework this week. The note I made on my dayplan for the math packet to be done today was a note to myself that the TOC thought was meant for the class. It was entirely my mistake and I'm very sorry for any grief it may have caused at home. In the future, please know that I am not a big believer in homework except to finish up work that should have been finished in class. Also, I will never give more than 30 minutes worth of homework without letting you know in advance. So if your child seems to be doing too much homework, stop at 30 minutes and write me a note in the agenda. This way I can clarify the misunderstanding before it causes anyone any undue stress.

• Our trip to the Symphony is next Thursday, February 20th. I will be asking the children to dress neatly for the event. The bus leaves Brentwood at 8:45am so please do not be late.  If you have not already, please sign and return the permission form as as soon as possible.

• Friday, February 28th, we will be taking a fieldtrip downtown to the Royal BC Museum to participate in the Heritage Afloat School Program.  More details and permission forms will come home next week.  I'm also looking into adding a trip to the legislature the same day.  We will be needing parent drivers/chaperones so please note the date if you think you might be able to help out.
  • Ask your child about his/her Inquiry question.  Our school's teacher-librarian, Ms Miller, and I are collaborating to help the children investigate their own "deep thinking" question about Immigration.  Some are looking into their own family's immigration history while others are looking into questions such as why did people choose to immigrate to Canada rather than the US.  We're excited to see what answers they come up with!
  • Claremont Secondary's Year-Long Drama presents the funny play TWISTED TALES OF TERROR.  This play is appropriate for all ages and is being especially prepared for young audiences. The play runs Feb. 19-22 and Feb. 26-Mar. 1 nightly at 7:30pm. It is about two hours long including intermission.  All tickets are $7.50 and can be bought at the door.  Claremont is located at 4980 Wesley Road. SYNOPSIS: In a spooky graveyard, the darkly lovely Claudia, a Guardian of Dark Tales, retells famous horror stories much to the delight of her lumpy husband, Igor. As she tells classics such as "Dracula", "Frankenstein", "The Three Werewolves", "Jekyll and Hyde", "The Tragic Tale of the Mummy", and "The Three Witches", the characters come to life. However, the stories are all a bit different than we expect. In fact, instead of being terrifying, they are actually quite humorous. Characters behave in unexpected ways, accidents occur, but all turns out well. Claudia's tales are far more funny than scary, and all is resolved into a neat, happy ending (and an exciting, crowd-pleasing dance number!).

Have a great weekend.