Mrs. Blackie - K1 News

Friday, January 28, 2022 Weekly Update

Picture of Jeni-Lynn Blackie
Friday, January 28, 2022 Weekly Update
by Jeni-Lynn Blackie - Friday, 28 January 2022, 8:38 PM

Hello everyone!

A fantastic week of fun Literacy activities! Please remember to have your child hand in their reading log and Bingo sheet in their folder/ziplock bag on Monday so we can pass them to Ms. Brown. We hope we get to silly string Cst. Gentile on Tuesday February 1! 

Big thank you for all the ice blocks brought in and to the parents who we surprised to help us with building and de-thawing the ice blocks for our ice castle! The children enjoyed building it and we learned what shapes were easier to stack - flat ones! Plus, we learned that salt helps to melt the ice to help the blocks stay together too! They did well to help place them in place. Throughout the day they made observations and were able to draw how it changed by the afternoon! After it was built, we were all happy to get inside and warm up our fingers!

Due to Covid I am unable to have parent readers in to read with the children. But following an idea from Mrs. Westwood, if you would like to video yourself reading a story, I will be happy to share it with the class- "Secret" guest reader. Please email me the video at jblackie@saanichschools.ca.  Be brave!

Sharing:  We are beginning to share family stories, this week will will be learning...the story of your child's name. Please share with your child...Why you chose their name? What does their name mean? Were they named after someone? Any ideas your child can share about their name would be great! You can write the answers down and I will help your child share about the importance of their name at their sharing time. 

Calendar Reminders:

PAC WestCoast Seeds fundraiser - last day to order January 30

PAC Popcorn orders must be in by February 4 (newsletter went home today)

Popcorn Day - February 14

Pro D day- February 18 - No school for chilldren 

Family Day - February 21 - Stat - No school 

Hearing Screening for K - February 22 & 23

Pink Shirt Day - February 23 

Have a great weekend!

Mrs. Blackie