Mrs. Blackie - K1 News

Friday, October 29, 2021 Weekly Update

Picture of Jeni-Lynn Blackie
Friday, October 29, 2021 Weekly Update
by Jeni-Lynn Blackie - Friday, 29 October 2021, 6:54 PM

Hello Everyone, 

A busy and fun week! Lots of fall activities - finding pumpkins, exploring with pumpkins, counting pumpkin seeds and learning about squirrel homes too - drey - they came home today! Plus our new letters this week were Mm and Rr. The children made Letterland Red Robots - please remind them to share the letter name and sound with you!

PAC: Our wonderful PAC provided the Eagle shirts for everyone - I hope your child have fun at the convocation meeting other Eagles.  Plus, the PAC sent home the Halloween pencils today too-lucky children! 

Here is the Letterland Mega mix songs for the letter sounds-the more you play, the more they will recognize the sounds. Copy and paste in browser. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YnVdnfzM2X1RGk3Q5uaQlnnQDkuaeuQL/view?usp=sharing

When you are reading stories with your child you could always ask them the name of a letter in the print too. 

Sharing: Loved the sorting rules! We even reconfigured some objects to make another rule for some of the groups too.  Please remember your child shares every week. If they miss the Sharing topic, please follow the next weekly topic. 

Next week please have your child choose a favourite number from 1 to 10. They can bring in objects that match the amount.  For example: 3 - 3 stuffies or 4 - 4 cars.  Please put them in a bag or container. Thank you for your help with developing your child's speaking and listening skills.

Squirrel Field trip to Francis King Park Friday, November 5- We will be taking a bus to Francis/King Park. I have been collaborating with the Teacher Librarian, Miss Brown to learn about Squirrels. Please send permission forms back asap. I have emailed our secretary to check at the District for Criminal Records - I'll keep those who sent emails about volunteering posted.  Remember to have your child dress for the weather, boots are best!

Remembrance Day: To acknowledge Remembrance Day this year, we are doing a virtual parade in slide show form.  Please would you consider emailing in a photo of your family members, past and present, in uniform so that we can create a slideshow parade of veterans and serving members to mark their day.  Armed Forces, police, firefighters, etc. Those who serve, in uniform.  Photos can be sent to Mrs Coles at ecoles@saanichschools.caIt would be nice if you could attach their name, rank, dates served (and location if you know it) to add detail and context for our students.Please submit the photos no later than November 5th to give us time to compile the slideshow.Thank you

We are learning about graphing and I am hoping you could have your child please send in 2 small Smartie boxes as we will sort and graph them by colour. Do not worry, if you can't, I will have some extra. Please send them in by Tuesday. A fun way to learn!

Calendar Reminders:

Squirrel Field Trip - Friday, November 5

Remembrance Day - Thursday, November 11

No School - Friday, November 12

If you are out Halloween night, please be safe!  If not, I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Mrs. Blackie