Mrs. Brown and Ms. Nightingale

Week of September 27-October 1

Picture of Lorree Brown
Week of September 27-October 1
by Lorree Brown - Monday, 27 September 2021, 7:45 AM

Hello Division 13 Families. 

Below you will find the events and reminders for the week. 

Math:  We will continue  reviewing addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.  Students will complete the final math assessment at the end of the week to demonstrate their math knowledge.   

Reading: This week we will take a look at the meaning of genre and explore different genres in our classroom library.  

Writing:  We ran out of time last week and did not get to the character trait lesson. This week we will  look at the meaning of various character traits and identify those in ourselves and others. Students will identify a character trait which describes them and explain how they represent that character trait. 

Social Studies:  In Social Studies, we learned about our Canadian government and how we elect a new Prime Minister. Students brainstormed what was important to them in our country. Students had a lot to contribute and came up with "healthcare," "clean water," "climate change," "addiction to devices," and "indigenous lands and rights," to name a few. We then learned about the five main political parties running in the 2021 election to help students be a little more informed to make their own decision in our Student Vote. Students followed up with an "If I was Prime Minister" written activity.

For Social Responsibility and in honour of Orange Shirt Day, we read Shi-shi-etko written by Nicola I. Campbell as an introduction to Residential Schools. We discussed how it would feel to be the character in the book, then completed a written and illustrated reflection using our five senses. We will be discussing more about Truth and Reconciliation in the coming weeks.

Physical Education: The past week we have been exploring various physical literacy games.  We will continue to introduce cooperative games this week. 

Art: This week we will play with Model Magic, molding and colouring owls. 

*If you have not done so already, please send a scrapbook (Hilroy - 20 pages)with your child to school. *

*Please send in the student information form I sent home on Friday, September 10th.  I am still waiting to get email addresses from a few families.

Reminders

• Monday, September 27 - Pro-D day - No school for students. 

• Tuesday, September 28 - Meet the Teacher - 5:30-6:30 I’ll meet you at the exterior door of our classroom.

• Wednesday, September 29 - Orange Shirt Day

• Thursday, September 30 - National Day for Truth and Reconciliation - No school for staff and students.

• October 14- Photo retake day

• October 20 and 21- One hour early dismissal (parent conferences)

• October 22- Provincial Pro D day