Mrs. Brown and Ms. Nightingale

Week of May 4-8

Picture of Lorree Brown
Week of May 4-8
by Lorree Brown - Sunday, 3 May 2020, 8:47 PM

Hello Division 16 Families.

Hope you are well.  I have added the new sign up sheets for video conferences on Google Classroom.  This week, one to one video chats with Mrs. Brown will be on Tuesdays and group video chats with Mrs. Brown will be on Wednesday and Thursday.  Please let your child know, they are welcome to sign up for any of the video chats. 

This week in  numeracy, students have the option to complete the resort project if they did not finish it last week.  Other learning opportunities include a Hundred Board Challenge and a Telling Time Slide Deck.  There are non tech options on the schedule and the students can write their answers on paper or Google Classroom. If they choose paper, please email me their work and I will add it to their portfolio. 

In literacy, I have provided a Writing Choice Board.  Students can choose two writing assignments from the choice board to complete.  There are two areas for the students to complete their writing or they can complete their writing on paper and email me a picture of their work when finished. There are also a couple of other non tech writing suggestions, these can also be completed on paper.  Finally, for reading, students have been encouraged to read 30 minutes each day.  This week, the suggested reading response activities are descriptions of the characters in the book. 

I have attached the literacy and numeracy schedules for this week. I decided to leave the physical fitness schedule off this week and just let the kids come up with their own fitness activities. 

If you or your child have any questions, please email me. 

Lorree

From Mrs. Cannady

Wow! Welcome to May.

On Monday, May 4th, I will be hosting another round of Video Conferences. Please be sure to sign up to chat with both myself and other classmates. If Monday, simply doesn’t work with your family’s schedule or you are more comfortable with an individual meeting please email to book a time.

In Math this week, students are invited to explore Probability terms and complete a simple probability experiment.They can also design their own pattern featuring a flip, slide or rotation. For a more advanced challenge, students can create their own Tesselation following the instructions found in the video posted on the Google Classroom. Check it out!

For Language Arts, students are encouraged to brainstorm with those around them common and your own hyperboles. They are also invited to illustrate their favorite hyperbole. There is also a Mother’s Day activity. In the interest of keeping it a surprise, more details can be found in the attachment and in the Google Classroom.

Please remember that all work completed with pencil/paper or offline can be photographed and emailed to mcannady@saanichschools.ca for feedback. All work submitted in Google Classroom will also be returned.