Mrs. Brown and Ms. Nightingale

Week of April 28- May 1

Picture of Lorree Brown
Week of April 28- May 1
by Lorree Brown - Sunday, 26 April 2020, 8:05 PM

Week of April 27 to May 1

Hello Division 16 Families.

I hope you had a great weekend.  Tomorrow is a Pro-D day and Mrs. Cannady will be doing some online workshops.  So, enjoy your extra day off and no need to do “school work” until Tuesday.

I have created two sign up sheets for communication this week.  The first is a sign up for Tuesday, April 28th, for a one on one chat with me and your child.  This is optional but I wanted to offer it for those children who are not comfortable with the group video chat or for those who wish to ask questions about assignments and would prefer not to do it in front of their peers.  The second sign up is for the group video chats which will occur on Wednesday and Thursday this week. . Please remind your child to sign up for either of these opportunities.  Both are completely optional. 

Attached, you will find the literacy, numeracy and physical fitness schedules for the week.  All learning opportunities will be posted on Google Classroom Tuesday morning. 

This week in math, students will be given a multiplication resort project.  This project would normally take the entire week, so please help your child understand, it doesn't need to be completed in one day.  There are also other suggested learning opportunities which your child can choose to complete.  

In literacy, students are given the opportunity to write a journal and to complete a “Would You Rather” writing.  There are also several reading response opportunities for the students to complete. 

In physical fitness/self care, there are a variety of suggestions.  As long as your child is going outside and participating in some physical activity each day, that is just fine.  The activities in the schedule are suggestions offered so the students have a variety of ideas.  I would like the students to fill in their physical fitness journal each day, recording what activity they complete and for how long each day. The first fitness journal was due on Friday and should have the past three weeks recorded.  There is a new fitness journal which starts tomorrow and finishes on May 15th. 

Finally, there are several “Extra” activities posted which include, French, music, and eagle convocation. If your child completes any of these activities, please have them email me and I can pass this on to Madame Scott and Mrs. Robinson. 

Thank you for all your support with our new normal.  If you have any questions, please email me or Melissa.

Lorree

From Mrs. Cannady

Hello Division 16 Families. 

I greatly enjoyed connecting with many of you through video conferencing last week. I will host more conferences with students on Monday, May 4th. Students can join a session by registering on the form found in the Google Classroom. Please encourage your child to join in to both inquire about ongoing assignments and to connect with their peers.

For Math this week students are invited to be thinking, creating and designing 3D nets. A Geometry Net is a flattened out three dimensional solid. Students are encouraged to draw as many nets as possible for a box. All designs can be tested to confirm that they create the 3D solid by cutting and folding into place. An artistic optional extension, found in the Google Classroom, is for students to replicate an actual real life object using their choice of net and artistic materials. Students also invited to go on a pattern hunt both indoors and out and to discuss what they find with a family member.

For Language Arts, students are encouraged to write some similes. A simile is a figure of speech that compares two things using the words like or as. For example: They fought like cats and dogs. Students are encouraged to write a simile for the following situations: a happy person, a hungry person, something heavy, something light and then one of your choice. Students are also invited to suggest a joke for The Joke of the Week.

Please remember that all work completed with pencil/paper or offline can be photographed and emailed to mcannady@saanichschools.ca for feedback. All work submitted in Google Classroom will also be returned.