Mrs. Brown and Ms. Nightingale

Week of April 13-17

Picture of Lorree Brown
Week of April 13-17
by Lorree Brown - Monday, 13 April 2020, 5:19 PM

Week of April 13 - 17

Hello Division 16 Families. 

Congratulations on surviving your first week of remote learning. I have attached the schedule for this week on this blog, as well as on Google Classroom. For Math, I would like each student to either do the non tech suggestions on the schedule, or the tech option which involves completing the multiplication slide deck on Google Classroom. For literacy, I would like students to complete the journal on paper (send me a picture) or it can be completed on the Google Doc in Google Classroom.  There is also the opportunity to do additional writing activities, as well as a reading comprehension activity. Please encourage your child to complete one physical fitness activity or self care activity each day and write it down in the Physical Fitness Journal. Finally, this week, I have included a French activity from Madame Scott under the topic, extra assignments. Please remember, these are learning suggestions and if your child doesn't get them all completed, that’s okay. They just need to do their best and as long as they  read, do a little writing and a bit of math each day, I’m happy. 

I will be sending a separate email with instructions for video conferencing this week.  Please watch for the email and for the sign up. I’m excited to be able to see the students while I chat with them!

If you have any questions, please email me. I sure miss all of the children and families!

Mrs. Brown

Instructions from Mrs. Cannady:

***Please accept the invitation to join our Google Classroom found in your school email account. ***

Hello Div 16! I hope you enjoyed your extra long weekend. Traditionally my inlaws come to visit and unfortunately that did not happen this year. Nonetheless, we cooked a big meal and had a nice visit using Zoom. I hope to catch up with each and every one of you soon. If you would like to chat, send me an email of a time that works for your household during regular school hours. We could use the plain ole phone or try connecting using MSTEAMS. In the meantime, here are some optional learning activities:

Numeracy: 

1. Imagine that you have 16 straight lines. How many different quadrilaterals can you make? (parallelogram, trapezoid, rhombus, rectangle and square) This could be drawn on paper, laid out with toothpicks or designed on the sheet provided online. Take some picture(s) and email them to me OR build them on the Google Slide provided and hit submit. There is a video posted in our Google Classroom to refresh your memory on quadrilaterals, if needed.

2. Play the game Entrapment with a family member. The game board and rules can be found in our Google Classroom. I could use graph paper and select your own polygons (4) to play with.

Literacy

1. Humans have 5 senses.(Sight, Hearing, Touch, Taste, Smell) Using descriptive words list an example for each one describing how you know it’s morning?  Repeat, how do you know it’s night? Is it the same for other species on earth? Explain. You can complete this task using a pencil/paper of fill in the document in our Google Classroom. There is also an example posted.

2. When we visited the observatory, we learned about the relationship between the tide and the moon. Write a short story from the perspective of a crab or turtle (or any other shore/shallow water creature) explaining what happens during low or high tide. To refresh your memory, visit our Google Classroom to see a short video and a link to further information. As always, use a pencil/paper to answer and send me a picture or use the document posted online.