Mrs. Blackie - K1 News

Saturday, January 25 Weekly Update

Picture of Jeni-Lynn Blackie
Saturday, January 25 Weekly Update
by Jeni-Lynn Blackie - Saturday, 25 January 2020, 4:39 PM

Hello everyone, 

A big thank you to all the parents who came and helped with skating with our buddies. The children had a great time. I was very proud of how they all tried their best regardless of experience - way to go K's!

I hope you enjoyed the Winter concert. The children had worked extremely hard on learning both songs and actions for you! I was very proud of their performances. They are such amazing children!

Here are some activities coming up next week:

Our class will be joining Mrs. Westwood's and Mrs. Cole's to build an ice castle out on the blacktop this coming Wednesday, January 29th in the morning.  We are asking everyone to bring some ice blocks to contribute. Ideally, we'd like you to involve your child in filling containers with water (adding food colouring if you wish), putting them in the freezer, and checking on them to see how long they take to freeze.  Containers can be any shape or size.  You can experiment with jelly moulds, ziplock bags, balloons, or whatever you can think of.  The more blocks we get, the better our castle will be!

Next Thursday, January 30th, is Literacy Day at Brentwood.  Students are encouraged to dress up as a favourite book character for the day. We will have a bonus Family Read-in on Thursday, 8:40 - 9:00, as well as our regular Friday one.  If an older sibling would also like to join for Family Read-in, please make sure to get permission from the classroom teacher first so no one is missed on the attendance list.

Sharing Some great shape sharing.  This week please have your child bring in an object/picture that is one of the 3 states of matter - solid, liquid or gas. 

For example:  Clues 1) You breathe it out    2) You breathe it in   3) You can push your hand back and forth to feel it...what is it?  Air - gas

Please help your child with creating the clues - thanks. 

Popcorn Day is on Monday - it is $1 - please send it in if you would like your child to have popcorn. 

K Scrapbooking this Tuesday, in the kitchen. I'm treating you to coffee/tea -please let me know what you'd like so I can get it before school starts - I really appreciate the help and the children love their special books when they are done.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend,

Mrs. Blackie