Mrs. Brown and Ms. Nightingale

Week of November 5-9

Picture of Lorree Brown
Week of November 5-9
by Lorree Brown - Tuesday, 6 November 2018, 11:10 AM

Hello Families.

Please read all the way to the bottom, to make certain you see the message from our Superintendent regarding administrative changes at Brentwood. 

Below are our events and reminders for this week:

Math With Mrs. Brown:Students continue to work on place value with our focus on decimals to hundredths and thousandths this week.  We will also look at rounding numbers.  With Ms. Rickson: We created questions to create our own bar graphs. On Friday we will survey the class in order to collect our data. 

WritingOur focus this week is using descriptive language to create Remembrance Day poems.

Social Studies: We began to look at the faces of our government leaders (at both the municipal, provincial, and federal level). We also discussed where each of these leaders works and what their responsibilities are. Lastly, we practiced our poem for the Remembrance Day Assembly.

Physical Education: This week we continue to work on our soccer skills. Students have been split into four teams and will play a series of 8 mini soccer games throughout this week. 
We had Buddy Gym on Monday with Ms. Jolivet's class where students had a choice between Bench Ball indoors, or Kickball outside. Those of us in the kickball group enjoyed a beautiful, sunny morning - hard to believe it's November!

Art:  Students will finish their poppy watercolours in preparation for Remembrance Day. 

Reminders

Sugar Rush Run - November 1st

Photo Re-Takes -November 7th

Remembrance Day Ceremony 9:45 in gym...Division 13 presemting....see note below. 

Early Closure - November 14th and November 15th (Please click on link and sign up for a parent-teacher interview)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KOOk5sNdabPY-eVkYG5r_wLb3eY-nZL95zMdaTqlPS8/edit

Grade 4/5 Swim to Commonwealth - November 16th

Fun Lunch - November 21st

Pro-D Day - November 23rd (No school for students.)

Popcorn Day - November 26th

Remembrance Day 

Hello Div. 13  Parents/Guardians.

I wanted to let you know that on Friday our class will be presenting at the school's Remembrance Day assembly. Ms. Marchand's class will read "In Flanders Fields" and then, Division 13 will share a poem in response.  

I have asked the kids to wear dark bottoms and white tops for this occasion. Any type of pants will work as long as they are dark (black is best but navy blue or dark grey will suffice. Shorts are not suitable for this performance.) White tops can be t-shirts, sweaters or hoodies but ideally would not have any kind of logo or design on the front.

Please don't feel that you have to rush out and buy your child a new piece of clothing for this occasion. I have suggested little tricks like borrowing a shirt or top from a parent or sibling ..... or taking a t-shirt with a logo and turning it around from front to back for the 45 minute assembly. 

Parents are most welcome to join us for this presentation if you have time but we will be doing other presentations in the future so there will be more opportunities then as well.  

Thank you for your continued support. 

Lorree

Announcement from Superintendent

Dear Parents/Guardians,

Our apologies to all parents and guardians who did not receive this information on Friday.  Please see below for an important announcement.

A message from the Superintendent of Schools

Dear Brentwood Elementary School parents / guardians,

I wanted to contact you directly this afternoon to inform you of an upcoming change at Brentwood Elementary School. 

Ms. Shirley Elm was looking forward to a wonderful year ahead as your Principal at Brentwood, but certain life circumstances have resulted in her needing to take a Leave of Absence beginning on Mon Nov 5th.  The leave is for an indefinite time period.

I am pleased at this time to announce that Mr. Mark Guiguet (retired Elementary Principal and former Vice-Principal at Brentwood) has agreed to return to our District as acting-Principal at Brentwood.  Mark is very familiar with the community having been at the school between 2010 and 2012.  He will join the Brentwood team effective Nov 19th and is available for as long as we require him.   In the two weeks before his arrival, Ms. Sara Jolivet (Vice-Principal) will be moved to a full-time administration assignment.

While I understand that any change is disruptive, our goal throughout this transition was to find a solution that minimizes the impact on the entire school.  I do acknowledge that there will be some disruption so I thank you for your understanding as we work to make this transition as smooth as possible. 

I know that you join me in wishing Ms. Elm well in her upcoming Leave of Absence.

Sincerely,

DAVE EBERWEIN

Superintendent & CEO, Saanich Schools

2125 Keating Cross Road, Saanichton, BC V8M 2A5

(W) 250.652.7332  (C) 250.812.2156

Twitter: @DaveWEberwein

Blog:  www.thepowerofwhy.ca