Mrs. Brown and Ms. Nightingale

Week of May 14-18

Picture of Lorree Brown
Week of May 14-18
by Lorree Brown - Monday, 14 May 2018, 4:26 PM

Hello Parents.

This week is extremely busy with the addition of our dance performance, Fun Lunch, camp and a visit from the Outdoor Pursuits students from Stelly's. Ask your child about their experience today with the Stelly's students.  Much thanks to Ryan Braun for organizing his students to come to Brentwood and set up fun P.E. games.  

Below are the details of classroom activities  and reminders for the week.  Please scroll all the way down and read the information about camp to ensure your child has all the supplies to have an enjoyable day and is at the school on time on Thursday

Math With Mrs. Brown: The multiplication tests are marked but I am waiting for one more student to write the test before I send it home.  My apologies for not sending it home on Thursday.  We have begun our unit on long division and are learning the steps to accurately compute a long division question.  We are also working on Fact Family Drills which will be given three times per week.. With Mr. Lurie: We begin a new unit on probability and statistics. 
WritingThis week we continue to work on poetry, creating a shape poems and finishing "I Am" poems.  In addition to poetry, students are learning how to turn research notes into sentences and paragraphs.  
Reading: We continue to work on our Reader's Theatre where students will perform a read aloud play in groups.  Performance date will be later in May.  We are also reading articles from Canadian Reader where the children will be working on finding the main idea of a reading passage.  

Science: This week we continue our unit  on space. We finally get our visit from the Royal Astronomical Society on May 10th.  Students have also been watching the moon phases and studying constellations. 

Social Studies: Continue looking at one of Canada's natural resources: Forestry and Physiographic features of Canada.

Art:I hope all the mothers enjoyed Mother's Day and I hope you liked the pendants the children made.  This week we will be completing an Spring themed art project. 

Physical Education: This week, we will play more outdoor games.  We will also begin practising for track.  

Dance:  Students continued to practise the dance for the Fine Arts Festival and for the performance in May.  Mark your calendars now...the performance will be on Tuesday, May 15th at 12:30 in the gym or Wednesday, May 16th, at 9:00 in the gym.  Please choose to attend ONE of the performances only.   Students from Division 12 are required to wear black pants and their Be Kind shirts or a black shirt.  Please make sure your child is wearing their costume for Tuesday and Wednesday. 

Reminders

May 15  Dance performance in the gym at 12:30.  

May 16 Dance performance in the gym at 9:00. (Click on link to view invitation)

https://mail.sd63.bc.ca/service/home/~/?auth=co&loc=en_GB&id=13100&part=2

May 16 - Fun Lunch

May 17 - Camp:  Camp is finally here.  We will be leaving the school at 7:45 am sharp and  unfortunately, will not be able to wait for late students.  I will send a reminder on Wednesday about the time and I will be reminding the students in class.  Below you will find a list of suggested items to bring to camp.  Students will be carrying their supplies in a day pack which we expect will be a back pack they can easily carry on their back. We have also told students they are not allowed to bring any electronics to camp.  Mr. Lurie will be circulating during camp to take pictures and we are happy to make copies for students if they would like. 

Camp Imadene Day Camp Gear List

• backpack
  • morning and afternoon pocket snack (Lunch is provided)
  • beach towel and swim suit
  • hat
  • sunscreen
  • extra shoes (running shoes)
  • jacket
  • water bottle filled with cold water

May 21 - Victoria Day Holiday - enjoy the day!

May 24 - Grade 5 Parent night  - 7:00 pm @ Bayside 

May 30 - Popcorn Day!

School Bus Registration 2018/19

School bus registration is now open for the 2018/19 school year. Please use the link provided to register your student. To ensure a seat on the bus please have your registration completed by June 29, 2018. The bus routes listed below are to be used as a guideline only. Updated bus routes for next year will be posted on this site by August 15, 2018.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSffLQeqE8uaCLqDIcTRf-p8ncJUDabNYUeb16EYtOSwonWiTA/viewform