Mrs. Brown and Ms. Nightingale

Week of Nov. 13-17

Picture of Lorree Brown
Week of Nov. 13-17
by Lorree Brown - Monday, 13 November 2017, 1:41 PM

Hello parents. 

We hope you are enjoying your long weekend.  This week will be a short one but packed full of activities and learning.  Don't forget about Fun Lunch on Wednesday and Poinsettia order deadline this Friday, November 17th.  Also, thank you to those of you who took the time to meet with me last week to discuss your child's progress.  For those of you who were unable to meet, please email me so we can come up with a time to discuss your child's progress this term. 

Here are the events and reminders for the week: 

Math With Mrs. Brown: Students wrote their final test on place value and rounding.  Tests will be returned tomorrow and students will be expected to make corrections before they bring the test home.  I will post pictures on Fresh Grade accounts today, so you will know how your child did on the test.  For the rest of the week, we will begin our unit on addition and subtraction of large number.  With Mr. LurieStudents demonstrated a lot of enthusiasm for measuring volume using graduated cylinders. This week students will build on this concept and observe the relationship between liters and grams (volume and mass of water). They will also examine displacement and the volume of objects (for example rocks and marbles) dropped into a graduated cylinder full of water.
Writing:  We are in our final stage of revision and we are working on typing the final drafts of our monster stories. 

Reading: This week we will be reading chapters 6-10 in our novel, Holes.  Students will be completing various reading response activities.   

Socials Studies: Students continue to learn about early explorers and geographic land forms.
ScienceContinuing with our study of sensing and responding, this week students look at plants and their response to light, touch, water and gravity etc.
Art: Students worked on the background of their poppy watercolor painting last week.  This week we will draw in the poppies and fill in the negative space. 

Reminders

Fun Lunch: Wednesday, November 15th

Poinsettia Order Deadline: Friday, November 17th

Non Instructional Day: Friday, November 24th  No school for students. 

Popcorn Day:Wednesday,  November 29th