Mrs. Brown and Ms. Nightingale

Week of May 23-26

Picture of Lorree Brown
Week of May 23-26
by Lorree Brown - Tuesday, 23 May 2017, 9:42 AM

Hello everyone,

I hope you were able to enjoy the beautiful weather this past few days. What a fantastic long weekend!  I hope the grade fives all had a good rest Friday night as I know many were tired after a fabulous two days at camp.  I hear the grade fours had a great time playing the Survivor game and participating in the Egg Drop Contest.  

Here is what is happening this  week:

This Week:

Writing: Students will continue to work on their poetry anthology which is due next week, Monday, May 29th.  The children should have plenty of time to work on this in class but if they need extra time to complete, you may see this project come home to be completed as homework. I will send an email if this becomes homework.

Reading:  Novel Study:  "Number the Stars".  We will be finishing our  "Cereal Box Novel Report". 

Math:  Students wrote their long division final tests last week and they will be coming home tomorrow. Please take a look to see how your child did on this test.  We began our unit on fractions last week and will continue working on fractions this week. In Geometry, students worked in groups to build six different prisms and pyramids and explored the number of edges, faces, and vertices found in each shape. 

Science:   We continue our unit on Simple Machines.  This week students will learn about the the wedge and  how it works and how it makes things easier. 

Social studies - Students have startes a mini inquiry project. The focus of this project is on developing powerful questions and researching, rather than creating a final product. Students had the chance to explore the five possible topics - residential schools, immigration to Canada, natural resources, government, or the history of East and South Asian immigration - by browsing a number of books before deciding which topic they want to research. Students then began to develop questions that will guide their learning.

Art:  We will be working on glazing our clay creatures this week.

P.E.:  Last week we started our track and field practice.  We will continue to practise running 100, 200 and 400 metres this week.

Reminders:

Science Ventures: Tuesday, May 23rd, 12:15-2:30

Public Works Field Trip : Wednesday, May 24th, 10:30-2:30

Grade 5 Parent Info Night at Bayside

Grade 5 parents are invited to Bayside Wednesday, May 24 @ 7:00 pm for information about Bayside schoo

Legacy Art Gallery Field Trip- Wednesday, May 31st - A permission slip was sent home today for this field trip. Please send the signed form back with  payment as soon as possible.

Families Leaving Brentwood School

If any families will be moving away and your child will NOT be returning to Brentwood School next year could you please let the office know as soon as possible. Thank you.

New Gym Floor:  In an attempt to keep the gym floor clean, I am insisting the kids wear clean shoes.  Please make sure your child has a pair of clean shoes ready for gym.