Tracey Westwood's K2

Friday, September 25th Update

Picture of Tracey Westwood
Friday, September 25th Update
by Tracey Westwood - Friday, 25 September 2015, 5:13 PM

Here are a few bits for the week ...

• Community Dinner night was great! Thanks to all the families who were able to come. If you didn't make it in, our door is always open so please feel free to drop in and say hello whenever we're in.

• We're looking for a few volunteers. It's super helpful to have someone or a team take care of the putting the children's work into scrapbooks. No experience is necessary. Also, if you are interested in reading with individuals or groups of students some mornings, I'm always super grateful. My language arts blocks on Mondays, Tuesday, Thursdays and Fridays are generally between 10:00 and 11:15 and drop ins are welcome (but if you give me advance warning, I can let you know if something comes up that changes our morning schedule.

• Today, we had our Terry Fox Run. Take a few minutes to talk to your child about it.

• Our Spelling program will start next week. We will be using the Words Their Way Spelling Program which uses the test we did today to determine where your child will start. They will receive their words on Monday, work on them in class a little bit each day and tests will be on Fridays. I will not be sending this home for homework at this time.

• For homework, it is expected at this age that every child will READ or be read to for at least 20 minutes every night. It's important your child reads “Just-Right Books” often; ask your child to teach you the 5 Finger Rule. If you want more tips for helping your child with reading at home, click here.

• I'm planning to get Reflex Math up and running with the class next week and then the expectation will be Reflex Math Practice at least 3 nights per week. The more they practise math facts, the more successful they will be in all their subsequent school years.

• Photo Day is next Thursday, October 1st.   A notice went home today with ordering info.

• Questions or concerns?  Email twestwood@sd63.bc.ca or sogden@sd63.bc.ca  OR phone us at school, 250-652-3996.

Enjoy your weekend!