Tracey Westwood's K2

Friday, January 9th Update

Picture of Tracey Westwood
Friday, January 9th Update
by Tracey Westwood - Friday, 9 January 2015, 4:42 PM

Happy 2015!  Here are a few bits for our first week back...

• I hope your child has shared some thoughts with you about our Intermediate Inquiry Launch last Wednesday.  It was a busy, exciting day involving all our grade 4 and 5 students, and I'm sure some of the children came home tired.  This is a Social Studies Inquiry Project that crosses into other curricular areas.  We will be looking at 6 big concepts as we learn about First Contact between Europeans and the Aboriginal Peoples of Pre-Canada: Competition, Cooperation, Power/Trade, Empathy, Influence/Perspective, and Integration.  Lessons will continue for January and then, in February, we'll be setting all the grade 4s and 5s loose to create an inquiry project which we hope to incorporate into a Museum exhibit before Spring Break!
  • Our class has been reduced to 26 students.  We were expecting Maya to leave, of course, but we have also lost Simon as his family has decided to move Simon to an alternate schooling program.  We'll miss Simon and wish him well.
  • Scholastic Book Orders went home today and it appears that some copies of the December order were mixed in.  If you choose to order Scholastic, please choose only form the January fliers.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  January Book Orders will be due by next Friday, January 16th.
  • FSAs are coming.  Your child should have given you a yellow letter from the school district about the Fundamental Skills Assessment. Ours are scheduled for the first 2 weeks of February. There will be a number of practice opportunities planned for the last week of January.  More information will come as I receive it.

Have a great weekend!