Tracey Westwood's K2

Friday, Oct.3 Update

Picture of Tracey Westwood
Friday, Oct.3 Update
by Tracey Westwood - Friday, 3 October 2014, 4:41 PM

Thank you to all the parents, grandparents and Godparents that came out to Know Your School Night last evening. I enjoyed meeting all of you! This Blog is where I keep you all up-to-date with what's happening in the classroom.

• If you haven't already, subscribe to the Blog. The link is on the left hand side of this page. Subscription makes sure you don't miss a thing as every post is delivered directly to your email inbox.

• Agendas went home yesterday. This is another way to keep in touch. Every day, students will write reminders in their agendas and bring it home for you to initial. I check them daily so if you'd like to send a note, that's a good spot!

• Reading every day! Please set aside some time to read with your child every day. At least 30 minutes would be ideal. Why?

• Math every day! Reflex Math will be up and running soon (some children still have access from last year). I recommend a minimum of 4 times per week but the biggest successes are seen when students go for the green light every day!

• Weekly spelling homework comes home on Monday and is due on Thursday with tests on Friday. I recommend doing a little bit every night.

• Extra homework is available for students (and parents) who are keen. If you are interested, please send in a small binder and I will fill it with various pages for extra practise. It will be the responsibility of adults at home to manage the marking of this homework.  Enjoy.

• This year, we have Mrs. Backhaus's grade 2s as our little Buddies! We look forward to sharing some enriching times each Wednesday!

• It is important to arrive on time for school as twice a week we go directly to Gym and the other days we go directly into our morning circle. Morning Circle is a time when we talk about things that affect our community like friendships, problem-solving, current affairs, anxiety, stress, happiness, and much more. It is an important time for us to connect and share, reinforcing our relationships in the classroom. Please don't let your child miss out.

• Thank you for your survey responses. This really helps me to quickly get to know your child. If you have not done your survey yet, please do so as soon as possible. I am attaching a copy here in case yours has been misplaced.

• Also, school administrative forms went home this week. Please check those backpacks if you have not found them yet and return them as soon as possible.

• I'm always happy to hear from you! Email tracey_westwood@sd63.bc.ca anytime or drop in for a chat. Plus, I recognize that parents are a great resource for enriching activities. If you have access to any activities that make fun field trips through work or associations, please let me know!

Have a great weekend.