Tracey Westwood's K2

October 18th Update

Picture of Tracey Westwood
October 18th Update
by Tracey Westwood - Friday, 18 October 2013, 5:11 PM

Here are some reminders for next week:

NID  No school Friday, October 25th.  I will be at a ProD workshop in Sooke!

Math Morning is next Thursday, October 24th.  Families are welcome to come in and join us for some math activities or Division 14 students can choose to join younger siblings in their classes.

Pumpkin Project is a voluntary participation project for all students at the school to decorate a pumpkin as a literary character.  If your family is interested in participating, please read the criteria on the school webpage at brentwood.sd63.bc.ca.

Boys and Girls Club  A representative of the club came to speak to the class about some fun activities they have coming up.  In particular, Girls Literacy and Numeracy Games on Thursdays from 5-6:30pm.  She also mentioned video game designing which piqued the interest of several boys so I promised them I'd post the phone number. For more information, call 250-652-3021.

Homework

• Fire Escape Plan is due this coming Tuesday.  I am attaching the criteria for this assignment in PDF.
  • Next week, we begin our new Words Their Way Spelling Program.  Mrs. Brown will be sending home a letter explaining the homework on Monday. Please ask your child about it. The plan is to do one task each day of the week.  Next week's test will be on Thursday as there is no class on Friday the 25th.
  • Next week, I will be sending home a reading log for students to track their daily reading.  At this age, many of these little people are learning how to read fluently and with expression.  They will benefit greatly from listening to an adult read fluently and expressively as often as possible as well as silently reading to themselves and reading aloud to others.  Please support these important skills by ensuring that your child reads or is read to daily and by initialling the log each day.  If you have a busy schedule and there's lots of driving, perhaps you could consider an audio book; there are many great titles available at the public library.  If you're keen to start right away, I've attached the log sheet.

Have a great weekend!