Mrs. Blackie - K1 News

Saturday, June 4, 2022 Weekly Update

Picture of Jeni-Lynn Blackie
Saturday, June 4, 2022 Weekly Update
by Jeni-Lynn Blackie - Saturday, 4 June 2022, 8:21 AM

Hello everyone, 

A busy week leading into June! It is hard to believe that we are near the end of the year. Here is what will be happening next week...

Next week we will have a virtual tour of Thrifty's Grocery Store and hope to have a visit from Police Constable Gentile.  We will review healthy food choices.

Sharing:  Please have your child share one healthy food choice and one treat they like to eat. They can share it orally or bring in a drawing. 

Please remember to have your child wear their Eagle Shirt on Wednesday for our convocation!

BIRTHDAYS, BIRTHDAYS. BIRTHDAYS! We have a few June birthdays to celebrate and we will also celebrate summer birthdays so each child will have a special day to celebrate them! If your child has a birthday in June, it will be on the day. Starting Tuesday, June 7 we will celebrate Raygan's birthday, then Nick's is June 10, Violet June 14, Ryan June 15, Emmy June 17, Ethan June 20, and August June 22. If you don't see your child's name from the summer months, please let me know so I can correct it. There is a whole lot of celebrating in June!

We have been talking about safety and safety drills all year and now it is time to start talking to the class about body science. I'll be using parts of the Red Cross C.A.R.E. kit to talk to the children about body science. We will also be talking about appropriate vs. inappropriate touching and what to do if someone tries to touch inappropriately. I realize this can be a sensitive subject so if you have any concerns please contact me. 

To celebrate Pride month this year, Brentwood classes will be learning about diversity and inclusion for 2SLGBTQIA+ peoples. A SOGI-inclusive school means that all of these experiences and identities are embraced and should never be cause for discrimination. On Friday, we ask that students wear colours of the rainbow to show that Brentwood supports pride month.

Calendar Reminders:

June 6 Popcorn Day 

June 8 Eagle Convocation - please wear your Eagle shirt (change of date) 

June 10 Colours of the Rainbow shirt day 

June 15 Science Ventures Visit

June 16 - Last book exchange

June 17- Victoria Library Visit - Summer Reading program (I'm hoping to get library cards for your child - stay tuned!)

June 21 - National Aboriginal Day

June 24 - Fun Day

June 29 - Family Appreciation Pancake Breakfast

June 29 - Report Cards home

Enjoy the weekend, 

Mrs. Blackie