Mrs. Brown and Ms. Nightingale

Week of February 28-March 4

Picture of Lorree Brown
Week of February 28-March 4
by Lorree Brown - Sunday, 27 February 2022, 7:15 PM

Hello Division 13 Families. 

The Ministry of Education has provided COVID-19 Antigen Tests to schools for all students. These kits came home with your child on Friday, please check their backpacks. The supply of rapid antigen tests for our students will help inform families if and when needed. 

For information on how to use the test kit, please see the spot light at the top of our school website.

Below you will find the events and reminders for the week. Please read the reminders and click on the link to sign up for a students led conference on March 10th. 

Math:With Mrs. Brown, we continue to work on our multiplication unit. This week we will focus on multiplying large digits using a new method called lattice multiplication. Students will also write a quiz at the beginning of the week since we did not get to it last week.  With Ms. Nightingale,  we will be continuing to work on our Design a Zoo project applying what we have learned about area and perimeter.

Writing: 1. Students will continue work on informational writing this week where they are writing about something that interests them.  Students have come up with a writing plan, an introduction and now tehy are writing about their sub-topics.  2. Students started writing a poem to pair with their artwork last week.  This week they will finish their poems and watercolours.  Students will also write a second poem on friendship. 

Reading: We will continue reading our novel, Everest-The Contest, this week. We are almost at the end of the novel and this week students will choose their favourite character and create a memory book from that character’s perspective. 

Science: In Science, we will be choosing which biome we want to create a diorama for in the following weeks.  If students have items they would like to bring in to use for their project, that would be great! This will include recycled craft materials, shoe boxes, items found in nature (not living/or found along the forest floor) and any other materials they would like to use.

Social Studies: In Social Studies we will be continuing to work on our reflections from two perspectives. One from the perspective of an European explorer/settler and one from the perspective of an indigenous person living in Canada encountering the first explorers and settlers.  Ask your child to tell you a little about Cartier and Chief Donnacona.  

Art: This week we will finish  painting a watercolor titled, “My Wish”. Students will also write a poem to go with their art piece. 

Physical Education: This week, we will play some co-operative games and continue our basketball unit the rest of the week. 

Reminders

Tuesday, March 8 - Maturation Talks

Wedneday, March 9 - Parent-Teacher Conferences (Phone call)  - I will contact you if I need to chat with you about your child’s progress.  If you do not hear from me, I have no concerns.  If you have concerns, please let me know and I will schedule you in for a phone call. 

Thursday, March 10 - Student Led Conferences - Please click on this link to sign up for a student-led conference. Our protocol this year is that two adults and their child are allowed in the class. Unfortunately, siblings or extended family will not be allowed. I will greet the group of families at the line up door. Everyone must be wearing a mask to be permitted. We will wash/sanitize our hands and then your child can lead you to their spot and show you their work. After the 25 minute timer, I will lead the group out and welcome the next group.

Monday,  March 14 - Popcorn Day

Wednesday, March 16 - Fun Lunch

Thursday, March 17 - Report Cards sent home.

Friday, March 18th - Last day of school before Spring Break.