Mrs. Blackie - K1 News

Friday, April 30, 2021 Weekly Update

Picture of Jeni-Lynn Blackie
Friday, April 30, 2021 Weekly Update
by Jeni-Lynn Blackie - Friday, 30 April 2021, 5:34 PM

Hello everyone!

We had fun at our Eagle Convocation today and drew many coloured Eagles on the pavement. Plus, it was fun to see 2 eagles visiting us in the sky too! 

Core Competencies - The Core Competencies are the intellectual, personal, and social skills that all students need to develop for success in life beyond school. BC has identified three Core Competencies – CommunicationThinking and Personal and Social Competency as essential for all learners. We learn about these all year but I have started to give each child a sheet with a few to focus on for the week and when they are showing that they are working on it I try to give them a sticker to highlight it. At the end of the week they can share it with you. At the end of the year, the children will be writing a self-reflection of competency so it helps them to be familiar with the language. 

The alliteration sharing was lots of fun! This weekend, I will type them up and the children will create illustrations to go with their sentence to make a classroom book. 

Sharing: Please have your child share their favourite bug and why they like it. 

We did print making today - thanks to Harlow's mom who gave us a whole set of trays, the children did a great job making their prints. We will continue to do a few more and I hope to make a class mural.  The children were very patient with me as I learned how to do it with them! 

STELLY'S FOOD DRIVE -Our school is participating in the Stelly's Fill the HIve Food Drive. Please send non-perishable items to our class by Wednesday, May 5 as they will be picked in the afternoon by Stelly Students.  There is a competition to see which class will have the most food items and the prize is a free field trip to the climbing wall! But the real prize is helping other families in our community!

Scholastic Orders - Class Code is RC224378 

Reminders - water bottles and hats as I'm trying to have extra outside time dailiy-thanks!

Have a wonderful weekend! I'll see you in May!

Mrs. Blackie