Mrs. Blackie - K1 News

Friday, September 25, 2020 Weekly Update

Picture of Jeni-Lynn Blackie
Friday, September 25, 2020 Weekly Update
by Jeni-Lynn Blackie - Friday, 25 September 2020, 5:42 PM

Hello everyone, 

Another busy week and the children are doing great to work into our classroom routines and expectations.  They also participated well with the Terry Fox Run! I'm sure they were tired! Thank you for the donations. The school raised - $370.80 for the Terry Fox Foundation to help keep his dream alive - way to go!

Sharing: The children did great this week! Please have your child bring in one object in a paper/plastic bag (so kids can't see it) that has the same letter sound as their first name. Plus, please help them to make 3 clues for their peers to try and guess what it is. ( I help them read the clues if they forget them). 

Monday sharers can choose another day in the week to bring in their sharing and I will accommodate them. 

For example:   Blackie - 3 Clues  1) it is like a circle, but it is called a sphere  2) it rolls   3) it bounces  What am I?  BALL         

Scholastic Orders due September 30 - Online Class code - RC224378

Please return the Chirp paper even if you do not want it - our class receives books even for NO's.    

Please send in 1( labelled with name) large Ziploc bag for the children's little readers - thanks!

Our Schedule this Year:

Gym Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday(body breaks everyday)

Library Thursday (Please return the books by Wednesday)

French Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

Music Tuesday

Here are some activities coming up:

Orange Shirt Day Wednesday, Sept. 30 (Information Below) We encourage children to wear an Orange Shirt on this day. 

Orange Shirt Day is a legacy of the St. Joseph Mission (SJM) residential school commemoration event held in Williams Lake, BC, Canada, in the spring of 2013.  It grew out of Phyllis' story of having her shiny new orange shirt taken away on her first day of school at the Mission, and it has become an opportunity to keep the discussion on all aspects of residential schools happening annually. 

The date was chosen because it is the time of year in which children were taken from their homes to residential schools, and because it is an opportunity to set the stage for anti-racism and anti-bullying policies for the coming school year.  It also gives teachers time to plan events that will include children, as we want to ensure that we are passing the story and learning on to the next generations.

Bus Safety Orientation: Our Kindergarten class will be participating in a bus safety trip Thursday October 8. This is to show students what to do on a bus and around a bus which is important. Please return the Fieldtrip form ASAP. 

Calendar Reminders:

September 28 - No school for Children

October 9- Smile! Picture Day

October 12- Thanksgiving (no school)

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend as we embrace the Fall weather! 

Mrs. Jeni-Lynn Blackie