Mrs. Blackie - K1 News

Friday, January 10 Weekly Update

Picture of Jeni-Lynn Blackie
Friday, January 10 Weekly Update
by Jeni-Lynn Blackie - Friday, 10 January 2020, 7:30 PM

Hello everyone, 

A great week getting back into routines and beginning some new ones too! We will be working with our librarian Ms. Di Lucca as she has returned to Brentwood from teaching in Argentina. She will be working with the students with reading and sharing Ipad apps with them - Tumblebooks, Farm Phonics and others. 

Sharing: New Math topic- Shape Hunt at home - your child can share shapes they have found in the house ie. circle - plate, square - window, etc. I hope they have fun being a Shape Detective! If they are keen, they can always draw what they have found from home and/or bring it to show during their sharing time. Please help them with 3 clues-bottom of a can - it is round, there is no corner, it can roll.  - circle 

Family Read in this Friday, January 17.  Please come into the class with your child where there will be books to read. We have readers they can practise with you too! We will read from the bell until 9:00 and then start our school day. We will continue to have the family read in until the end of the year. 

Eagle Convocation this Friday, January 17 - Please have your child wear their eagle shirt. 

Winter Buddy Skate- January 23 - Please return the form asap. If your child needs rentals, please send in $3.50 with your child's name. ( We need to purchase rentals ahead of time) We will be travelling by bus with our Big Buddies. If you want to meet us at the Rec Center, please feel free as we will need lots of help to tie up skates! 

Winter Concert-January 23  Two shows - 12:30 and 6:00 Please have your child attend both. Ms. Chater would like the children to wear dark pants, white shirt ( if there is a graphic design, please turn the shirt inside out fo the performance) hat, mittens and scarf. Please send in items before the day - January 22 marked with your child's name-if they need them for skating, keep and bring in on the 23 - just let me know. If you do not have something, please let me know -ie. scarf, as I have some that I can lend out for the performance. 

Scrapbook Volunteers: The children have been creating many pieces of work and  I need help gluing them in. I was hoping the end of January so the children can show them to you at our Student Led Conference in March.(I'm sure we will have more to put in before then too) I am making a sample this weekend incase it is easier for you to follow. Please let me know your availability so I can book the kitchen. Thanks! "More hands make light work"-this is a big job so any help is greatly appreciated. 

Star Student next week  - Lynkon on Monday to celebrate his Jan. 4th birthday and then we return to the list - Tuesday- Amelia. 

Reminders- Please return plastic folders daily, Literacy duotangs on Tuesday with Library books - thanks for your support with this. 

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Mrs. Blackie