Mrs. Blackie - K1 News

Friday, Sept. 20 Weekly Update

Picture of Jeni-Lynn Blackie
Friday, Sept. 20 Weekly Update
by Jeni-Lynn Blackie - Friday, 20 September 2019, 8:11 PM

Hello  everyone, 

It was great to see many families come visit the classroom and check out the school. If you did not get a chance to visit, you can come visit the classroom next week but on Thursdays I have a family commitment so it is one day I leave right away. Otherwise, I usually stay until 4:00. 

PLAYDATE LIST -I have the list in the classroom if you'd like to fill it out to have contacts for the other children in the class. This helps to build friendships outside of school for both children and adults.  If you can't get in, please send me an email and I will add what you like to the list. I plan to send out the list next Thursday.

Fresh Grade - Please send in your form if you would like it, I need to set up the accounts and then I get to post photos for you to see what your child is doing at times during the week. 

Scholastic
 Thank you for the orders. (I didn't realize my account wasn't activated for online orders so I will do it this weekend if you still wish to order online).

Sharing  Just a reminder our sharing topic is About Me. Please help your child pick out 3-5 items, pictures, etc for them to share with the class.

Our Schedule this Year:

Gym Monday, Wednesday, Thursday (body breaks everyday)

Library Book Exchange Thursday (Please return the books by Tuesday)

Library Learning Friday (today they learned about seeds -linking to our Fall topic)

Music Monday

French Monday, Tuesday, Thursday

Sencoten - Monday/Friday  The children will be introduced to the local First Nation language 

Star Student We will work our way down our class list alphabetically. But if there is a birthday, the child whose birthday it is will be the star student for the day. Everyone gets a turn and then go through the list again. If your child is quite late, they will have to wait until the next day.

Reminders for Next Week:     PRO D on Monday - NO SCHOOL

Photo Day Sept. 26 - Kindergarten is usually first thing in the morning

Terry Fox Run -Sept. 26 2:00 We will be running on the field. Feel free to join us!

Orange Shirt Day Sept. 30 (Information Below)

Orange Shirt Day is a legacy of the St. Joseph Mission (SJM) residential school commemoration event held in Williams Lake, BC, Canada, in the spring of 2013.  It grew out of Phyllis' story of having her shiny new orange shirt taken away on her first day of school at the Mission, and it has become an opportunity to keep the discussion on all aspects of residential schools happening annually. 

The date was chosen because it is the time of year in which children were taken from their homes to residential schools, and because it is an opportunity to set the stage for anti-racism and anti-bullying policies for the coming school year.  It also gives teachers time to plan events that will include children, as we want to ensure that we are passing the story and learning on to the next generations.

Orange Shirt Day is also an opportunity for First Nations, local governments, schools and communities to come together in the spirit of reconciliation and hope for generations of children to come.

hope you all have a wonderful weekend! See you on Tuesday,

Mrs. Blackie