Mrs. Blackie - K1 News

Friday, December 7- Weekly Update

Picture of Jeni-Lynn Blackie
Friday, December 7- Weekly Update
by Jeni-Lynn Blackie - Friday, 7 December 2018, 9:59 PM

Hi everyone, 

Thank you parents for our  Reading morning. We will have it for the next 2 Friday mornings too. 

Big Thank you to Tana, Alexa and Amanda for glueing the Portfolios - they look great!

We had a great Science Exploration with our Buddies this week! We have started an investigation on how we interact with Matter everyday with famiiair materials and discussed the 3 states with our Big Buddies.  We rotated through experiments on Monday and today investigated how a familiar drink-hot chocolate -can change materials ( marshmallows, candy cane) into different states - it was tasty too!

Sharing: Great start to how families have different and the same Christmas traditions. Many children shared they liked decorating, especially the trees.  Next week: Please talk with your child about sharing a favourite treat, food or drink that they enjoy over the holidays. 

Letters/Sounds/Sight Words - next 2 weeks we will review what we have learned this term with games, readers, songs, center activities. New digraphs to start in January. 

Math: Money - we are learning the symbols, coin names and attributes( size, colour)  of money.  Below is a link to a fun song that helps the children remember many coins. (One of my favourite Canadian kid's song!)

Canada in My Pocket - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnZlAOSEmYQ   I will print out the lyrics for their Literacy Books next week. 

Xmas Crafts - Monday, December 10 -12:30 to 1:30 All Kindergarten children will have an opportunity to make a craft in each of the K, K/1 classroom on Monday. If you would like to join and help, that would be wonderful. Please arrive at school at 12:15 to help with set up.  Thanks.

Concert Clothes/Gingerbread Art for Monday, Dec. 10 -  Please have a bag labelled with your child's name that  includes their green/red outfit for their performance.  Plus, I believe the Gingerbread Art will be put up on Monday, so please return ASAP. 

Concert - Thursday, December 13 - Either 10:00 or 1:00 to enjoy the show - come early!

Fresh Grade: Please review your email to sign up to view your Child's Fresh Grade account. I will continue to add more photos this weekend. If you did not receive an invite -please let me know so I can check the email address. 

Report Card Envelopes - Please sign the back and return asap. 

Have a wonderful weekend and keep warm!

Mrs. Blackie