A few bits for the week...
- Get to Know Your School Night is next Wednesday, September 20 from 5:30 to 6:30. Drop in, tour the school and meet your child(ren)'s teachers!
- Ask your child about our visitors from Japan today. A group of Japanese high school students who aspire to be teachers came to see some of Brentwood's primary classes. Our class enjoyed watching their singing and dancing presentation as well as making origami hats and playing with them during math centres!
- Our “class pet”, Robbie Raccoon, has started making his rounds. Every weekend, he will go home with a student to share in their adventures. Robbie comes with a journal so your family can draw and write about the weekend together.
- Sharing (aka Show and Tell) starts next week. Each day, one child will bring ONE item to show and talk about with the class. Take a few minutes to help your child choose an item. It can be anything, a toy, musical instrument, photo, etc. The idea is to get them talking in front of the group. Maybe talk together about what they might say about it. If your child wants to show a digital photo, email it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Next week: Monday - Elaina, Tuesday - Emma, Wednesday - Hattie, Thursday - Kaelyn, and Friday - Kieran.
- I encourage the use of a reusable water bottles here in class. Children can take sips throughout the day without worrying about spilling coloured drinks on their materials. I won't say don't send juice boxes because that is your choice but I will say most cannot finish one in a single sitting and then they can potentially end up a sticky mess.
- Photo Day is Thursday, September 28!
- Scholastic book orders are coming home today. These orders come once a month and are strictly voluntary, of course. Orders are due September 20th. Thanks go to Hattie's mom, Sarah, for putting the flyers together for us!
- Kindergarten students are welcome to join Action Mornings at 8am each day but because it is open to students of all ages, you may want to consider whether it is a good idea for your child. On great weather days, students meet on the blacktop at the back of the school. On colder, wetter days, students are to enter and exit through the outside gym doors by the stairway. They must be in the gym prior to 8:10 and stay for the duration of the session. Students will be dismissed from the outside gym doors and are then expected to make their own way to where our class lines up. A reminder that Action Morning can be cancelled due to a variety of reasons and should, therefore, not be relied upon for daycare needs. In the event of a cancellation, we will do our best to post a message on the school website as early as possible. A HUGE thank you to Mrs. Bagshaw who makes Action Morning so much fun for everyone!
- We know that bullying is sometimes a concern for parents but we would like you to be aware that here at Brentwood, we recognize a difference between bullying and social learning. Please have a look at this link.
Have a great weekend!