Mrs. Brown and Ms. Nightingale

Week of February 13-17

Picture of Lorree Brown
Week of February 13-17
by Lorree Brown - Sunday, 12 February 2017, 7:44 AM

Hello everyone. 

This past week was crazy with our wild weather and I am happy we will have warmer weather this week and get back to normal routines.  I hope you will be able to enjoy this Monday, Family Day, with your children and  get out and do something together.  I always look forward to hearing the children's stories when we return from the weekend. 

Due to the cancellation of some school days last week, we did not get as much accomplished as I'd hoped.  You will notice this below, as some of the activities we are completing this week, were listed in last week's blog. Below you will see our plan for the week and some reminders.  Two of the big reminders are our Buddy Breakfast happening this Tuesday and our Skating Field Trip happening on Thursday.  Please click on the link below to sign up for an item for our breakfast if you are able to send something.  We are also handing out Valentines on Tuesday and a list of class names was sent home on Friday.  If your child did not bring this home, email me and I will send you the list through email.  In addition to Valentines activities, we have our Grade 4/5  skate on Thursday.  Please make sure your child has brought in their signed permission form and $3.00 payment for the skating. If your child needs skate rentals, it is an additional $3.50.  Thank you for your continued support in our classroom activities and adventures. 

This Week:

Writing:  We will continue filling in  planning sheets for opinion pieces and  complete their rough drafts.  Students will start typing their good copies this week.  Spelling pattern: Long A; 

Reading:  Novel Study:  "Number the Stars".  We will start reading our novel this week. 

Math:   Multiplication drills; *Please help your child learn their multiplication tables.*;Math Wall; Multiplication: We will be focusing on multiplication of  single digits  X triple digits and for those wanting more challenge, triple digits X double digits. Graphing: Students will continue working on creating bar graphs by designing an experiment  to find out what letters occur most and least often in the English language.

Science:  Continue our study of  the "Skeletal System" .  Students are cutting out and putting together their own paper skeletons.  Students have also started cutting out the major organs and pasting them within the skeletal system.  We will be gluing onto our poster paper this week and adding labels. 

Socials Studies: Last week we introduced one of our big questions, "What types of discrimination or violations of human rights have immigrants to Canada and Aboriginal families faced?"  The example of Shin-Chi from the picture book Shin-Chi's Canoe was used to briefly touch on the Residential School System.  We will continue to unpack this question in the coming weeks.  This week, we plan to start a short story drama with our buddy class to look at the importance of cultural traditions and ceremonies and the impact of Canadian laws forbidding Canada's Aboriginal people to practise their traditions. 

Art:  Finish guitar art piece using pastels on construction paper; Mandalas; Clay Plates; Complete heart art pieces;

P.E.:  Our focus is on basketball skills and cooperative games. 

Reminders:

Our fields are WET! - Boots, jackets, hats and gloves will make  outside playtime so much better!  It is a good idea to pack an extra change of clothes as well as the grounds are very wet! We need to get out and get some fresh air so this will really help us have fun!

Agendas, Reading Calendars and Reflex: Please check and sign your child's agenda every night.  Students should also be reading and doing 20 minutes of Reflex Math each night. Don't forget to sign your child's reading calendar when they have completed their nightly reading. 

Family Day, Monday February 13 - NO SCHOOL

Buddy Breakfast: Tuesday, February 14th...If you have not already signed up, please go to the following link and sign up for a breakfast item.  Our breakfast is this Tuesday morning and we need your help to make it a success. Click on the link to see what's still needed:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pTKlLQ26XXmhdye_sMJnb-X28rkgV2LSASNWx-1ggYQ/edit

Fun Lunch : Wednesday, February 15th

Grade 4/5 Skating Field Trip : Thursday, February 16th -  Please help your child get their permission form in by this Tuesday.  

Symphony Field Trip - February 27th - Permission forms to go home on Tuesday.

Non Instructional Day - Friday, February 24th - No school for students.