Mrs. Blackie - K1 News

Friday, February 25, 2022 Weekly Update

Picture of Jeni-Lynn Blackie
Friday, February 25, 2022 Weekly Update
by Jeni-Lynn Blackie - Friday, 25 February 2022, 5:58 PM

Hello everyone, 

We had a great walk with our Buddies for Pink Shirt day and each child worked on  kindness paper T-shirt with our Big Buddies too! 

Social Studies - We continue to learn about ourselves, our families and our classmates.  A few topics that I need your help with is Where is your family from?  I am hoping to make a map for the children to see where their relatives come from if different from Canada. (I was born at the Resthaven Hospital in Sidney... my grandparents are Greek, Ukrainian, Metis and Romanian-so will show them these places on a map) Plus, Family traditions (e.g., Christmas, other winter festivals around the world), special cultural holidays (e.g., Lunar New Year, Diwali, First Peoples celebrations, birthdays, and associated foods, clothing, art).  One of my family's traditions is to go camping with extended family to Saltspring Island every summer.  If you could chat with your child and send me some information about these topics, I'd really appreciate to help with  their special inquiry about them.  We will be working on it next week so if I could have the information by Wednesday, that would be great. Thanks for your continued support in your child's learning.

PARENTS - 100th Day is on Tuesday, March 1.  We will be celebrating  with the other K classes.  At home, please take some time to count out 100 objects WITH your child. ( You can count by 1's, groups of 10's...) Then each child can bring the 100 items to school in a clear ziploc-type bag labelled with their name on Monday, February 28. I  will hang it on the bulletin board to share with the class.  (Ideas below  - buttons, marshmallows, fishy crackers, stickers, pom poms, fruit loop necklace...whatever your child wants to share that can be pinned on the wall- not too heavy please.) We will keep the 100 day collections  for the following week to investigate measurement - weight.  This is your child's sharing this week. They will share how they counted their objects and why they chose them. 

100th Day - We will be having a parade and If your child would like to dress up as a 100 year old, that can add to the fun for  the day - their choice. 

Early DismissalMarch 9 & 10  at 1:48  Student Led Conference -Please read and sign up for a time. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s1Fjn-u8Exv159c4iFgePPe6SFoGirTaGEdYFs4Z4XY/edit?usp=sharing

Calendar Reminders: 

March 1 - 100th day celebration

March 9, 10 Early Dismissal - 1:48 (sign up on Google docs)

March 14 - Popcorn Day

March 16 - Fun Lunch

March 17 - Report Cards sent home 

March 18 - Last day of school 

Spring Break - March 21 - April 1 - see you on April 4 

Enjoy the long weekend, 

Mrs. Blackie