Tracey Westwood's K2

Friday, January 24th Update

Picture of Tracey Westwood
Friday, January 24th Update
by Tracey Westwood - Friday, 24 January 2020, 4:29 PM

A few bits for the week...

• I hope everyone had a chance to see the Winter Concert yesterday.  The children were excited about performing for you.  If anyone has video they are willing to share, please let me know and I'll try to connect people.  Please remember not to post video to any public or social spaces without permission from children's parents.
  • Our class will be joining Mrs. Blackie's and Mrs. Cole's to build an ice castle out on the blacktop this coming Wednesday, January 29th.  We are asking everyone to bring some ice blocks to contribute. Ideally, we'd like you to involve your child in filling containers with water (adding food colouring if you wish), putting them in the freezer, and checking on them to see how long they take to freeze.  Containers can be any shape or size.  You can experiment with jelly moulds, ziplock bags, balloons, or whatever you can think of.  The more blocks we get, the better our castle will be!
  • Next Thursday, January 30th, is Literacy Day at Brentwood.  Students are encouraged to dress up as a favourite book character for the day. We will have a bonus Family Read-in on Thursday, 8:40 - 9:00, as well as our regular Friday one.  If an older sibling would also like to join for Family Read-in, please make sure to get permission from the classroom teacher first so no one is missed on the attendance list.
  • Field trip form came home today.  We are hoping to go skating at Panorama on Monday, February 10th but we want to use parent-drivers.  In order to drive other people's children, you need to jump through some district hoops, including a Criminal Record Check (CRC) registered at the school board office.  The CRC process takes a few weeks.  Of course, you may drive your own child without the paperwork. Please sign and return forms as soon as possible so we know if we can make it work.
  • Special helper / Sharing next week will be Maya on Monday, Nico on Tuesday, Nora on Wednesday, Patrick on Thursday, and Robyn on Friday.

Xīn nián kuài lè (Happy Chinese New Year!)

Pronounced "sheen neean kwai luh," kuai le means "happy" or "joyous" and xin nian means "new year."