Mrs. Blackie - K1 News

Friday, January 25 Weekly Update

Picture of Jeni-Lynn Blackie
Friday, January 25 Weekly Update
by Jeni-Lynn Blackie - Friday, 25 January 2019, 5:59 PM

Hello everyone, 

Just a reminder there is NO SCHOOL this MONDAY - it is a PRO-D. 

We had a great scavenger hunt with our Buddies this afternoon looking for objects outside then had a play on the playground. We are so fortunate to have such wonderful weather for extra outside play!

Our field trip to Royal Roads is Tuesday, March 5. We leave the school right away to board the bus then we return for the end of the day. More details to come.

Sharing Some great clues for shapes - the children enjoyed guessing the shape. This week please have your child bring in an object/picture that is one of the 3 states of matter - solid, liquid or gas. 

For example:  Clues 1) You breathe it out    2) You breathe it in   3) You can push your hand back and forth to feel it...what is it?  Air - gas

Please help your child with creating the clues - thanks. 

Literacy Duotangs - If you are missing the duo tang, please replace it as  I will be putting in new songs/poems weekly. This week we focussed on The Mitten song and will review Animals in Winter. 

Math Focus: we continue to review 2D shapes and then move onto 3D shapes along with learning ways to make 10 and ordering numbers from 1 - 10. 

Next week we will have the opportunity to see Tsarlip Carver, Curtis Henry carve a canoe. All classes at Brentwood are participating in this activity. Once the carving is complete, the canoe will be displayed for all the school community to see. The children will learn stories and traditions from Curtis which I will encourage them to share with you. If you get a chance, some classes have worked with him already and photos are displayed at the front entry.

Scrapbook Volunteers: The children have been creating many pieces and once again I need some help gluing them in. I was hoping the end of February so the children can show them to you at our Student Led Conference in March. Please let me know your availability so I can book the kitchen. Thanks!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Mrs. Blackie