As you may know, our school is participating in "Walk and Wheel to School week" which is happening next week, from October 7-11. Families are encouraged if possible to use active routes to school if possible and we have a great chart thanks to the PAC and the CRD to visually represent our school participation in this initiative. Participation is voluntary.
Brentwood is among 38 local elementary and middle schools participating. Later in the week, each child will come home with a tracking card. Please put your child's name and division number on the card. This can be initialled by an adult at home each day that the child walks or wheels to and/or from school. Each day next week, adults in the school will check with each classroom teacher to give students who participated that day a sticker to add to our chart. At the end of the week, we will collect all of the cards and enter them for prizes generously provided to us by the CRD.
If your child takes the bus, or can not participate in active transportation to and from school, no problem! Any form of active transportation that occurs on the day such as walking to the library or biking with family can be counted as participation.
Cycling, walking and rolling to school :
- is fun and good for your health and the environment
- builds physical activity into kids' daily routine
- supports in-class concentration
- reduces traffic volumes and congestion
- reduces greenhouse gas emissions
- reduces personal transportation costs
- reduces or delays infrastructure costs
- enhances community connectedness
Wishing you happy and safe walking and wheeling!