Division 4 News--click here to see all the posts on our forum

Spelling

Picture of Alyssa Ellison
Spelling
by Alyssa Ellison - Thursday, 29 January 2015, 5:02 PM

Div. 4: Spelling

What is Words Their Way?

This has been our first week of formal spelling, and as you know, we are using the Words Their Way spelling program in our class. Words Their Way is a program where students are actively constructing their own knowledge of spelling patterns. Students learn features by completing activities such as word sorting, word hunts, games, drawing, and labelling. Students work individually, with partners, and in small groups to encourage cooperative learning and individual responsibility. In our class, we have three different spelling groups. All the children have been assessed, and your child should be in the spelling group with the best fit.

What can we do at home?

The children will keep one spelling sheet at school, and take one home. At home, your child should cut out the words/pictures and practice sorting them into categories.

Here are some additional activities your child can try at home:

* Spelling War: Play with a partner, and put the pile of word cards between you. One player picks up a word and reads it to player two. If player two can spell it, player two gets to keep the card. If a mistake is made, the word goes into the pile again. Continue playing until all the cards are won.

* Rainbow Write: Write out the words and then trace them in different colours.

* Fancy Spelling: Write out your spelling words, but with fancy letters (e.g. bubble, flame, curly, box letters)

* Spelling Stamps: Use letter stamps to stamp out your spelling words.

* Word Search: Use a blank word search page (I have one you can borrow) to print your spelling words and then fill in the cubes with letters. See if your friends and family members can find the words.

* Spelling Test: Print the categories at the top of your page, and practice printing the spelling words.

What if there are pictures and not words on my child's spelling sheet?

Some of the spelling sheets use pictures. Your child will have to say the object in the picture and sort it accordingly. For example, the picture of the saw goes under the “s” category, the picture of the ham goes under the “h”, and the picture of the sheep goes under the “sh” category.

How will the spelling groups progress?

The Words Their Way Program was created to progress and build on learned knowledge. For example, your child may start with a sheet that has pictures for beginning sounds and blends, then progress to simple word families (cat, mat, sat, get, met, pet), then progress to short and long vowel patterns.

As always, if you have any questions, please call me at school 250-652-3996, email me at aellison@sd63.bc.ca, or drop by after school.

smile

Alyssa