Division 4 News--click here to see all the posts on our forum

December News

Picture of Alyssa Ellison
December News
by Alyssa Ellison - Monday, 1 December 2014, 5:37 PM

Happy December everyone!

Our school has started getting into the holiday spirit. If you're around, come and check out our hallway! Our classroom is the reindeer stable, and we've started working on some reindeer decorations.

Every Tuesday morning from 8:40-9:00 we are going to have a Christmas sing-a-long in the multi purpose room, and everyone is welcome.

A HUGE thank you to all the adults who came to the Goldstream Park and Nature House with us! Even though it was raining, everyone had such a positive attitude, we learned some interesting things, and the kids had lots of fun. Hopefully you all had a chance to get hot chocolate and warm up when you got home, I know I sure did!

We created a whole class book using Eric Carle's story, The Very Busy Spider, and the children wanted to share it with their families. When your child brings it home, please read it with her and then return it to school the next day so another child can borrow it. Thank you.

Your child should bring home a bug buster ticket today. I'm sorry, but there was a mix up with teacher bins, and we've missed the whole school deadline. Instead, I'll pull a name out of the children who return their tickets, and that child can pick a prize from one of my (many) prize bins. smile

Winter weather is upon us. Please make sure your child comes to school with appropriate clothing for the cold weather--gloves, winter jacket, scarf, hat, etc.

We have started the Christmas Food Drive at Brentwood. There is a box by our door for food donations. If you would like to donate a cheque or cash, there is a box by the office. Thank you in advance for donating to make someone else's holiday season a little more bright!

On December 11th, Brentwood school is having a Christmas Craft Night from 5:30-6:45. Everyone is invited to school and can travel from class to class making fun crafts.

On December 15th, we are going to decorate gingerbread houses with our big (grade 4) buddy class.To make this fun activity happen, we need volunteers. If you are able to help assemble the houses (graham crackers and sugar), please let me know. I'm hoping that a couple of parents could make them on Thursday, Friday, or Monday morning so they would be ready for the Monday afternoon. Also, if parents are able to make a big ziplock bag of icing, please let me know. We are asking that every child bring in a small bag of candy for the decorating, which will get dumped into a large bowl, and everyone will get a sample scoop of candy. Some children in our buddy class have nut allergies, so no nuts please!

Important Dates to Remember:

Tuesday mornings in December 8:40-9:00--Christmas sing-a-long

Thursdays--Library Day

Friday mornings 8:40-9:05--Read Around the Room in our classroom

Dec. 3--Pointsettia pick up in the gym from 11:00-6:00

Dec. 10--Popcorn Day

Dec. 11--Brentwood Christmas Craft Night 5:30-6:45

Dec. 15--Decorating Gingerbread Houses with our big buddies: Please let me know if you're able to help assemble houses, make icing, or volunteer during the activity.

Dec. 17--PAC Fun Lunch and Report Cards to go Home

Dec. 18--Festive Hat Day: wear your favourite festive hat to school

Dec. 19--Last Day of School before the Winter Holiday AND Pajama Day

Dec. 22-Jan. 2--Winter Break